St. Nicholas Church

St. Nicholas Church St. Nicholas Church St. Nicholas Church

Description

The Church of Saint Nicholas (Czech: Kostel svatého Mikuláše) also called the Saint Nicholas Cathedral (Czech: Chrám svatého Mikuláše) is the Baroque church in Lesser Town, Prague. It was built between 1704-1755 on the site where formerly stood a Gothic church from the 13th century also dedicated to Saint Nicholas. It has been described as "the most impressive example of Prague Baroque" and "without doubt the greatest Baroque church in Prague and the Dientzenhofers' supreme achievement" The interior is further decorated with sculptures of František Ignác Platzer. The Baroque organs has over 4,000 pipes up to six metres in length and were played by Mozart in 1787. The 79 m tall belfry is directly connected with the church’s massive dome. The belfry with great panoramic view, was unlike the church completed in Rococo forms in 1751-1756 by Anselmo Lurago.